Douglas J. Hoover, CFP®, ChFC®, CDFA™
“Most people would rather not think about the negative ‘what ifs’ of their investments. Yet to manage risk effectively, you need to consider all scenarios.”
Financial Advisor – 20+ years experience
As Vice President of Wealth Management, Doug brings 20+ years of experience to SFG. His focus is on integrated wealth management designed to maximize the wealth for a select group of the firm’s high net worth individuals. He provides valuable insight into the asset allocation strategies used for client portfolios. Doug works in a collaborative team approach with clients and their professionals to develop integrated financial planning strategies in the following areas:
- Investment Management: Working closely with the firm’s Chief Investment Officer and the Investment Committee, Doug develops sophisticated investment management strategies incorporating traditional investments and unique alternative strategies when appropriate.
- Retirement Planning: Doug has received special training to assist clients transitioning into retirement and work with clients during retirement to maintain their financial independence.
- Income Tax Reduction Strategies: When consulting with the Strategic Financial Group accountants and/or the client’s existing accountant, Doug has integrated tax strategies that reduce federal and state income taxes.
- Estate Planning: Doug works closely with the client and their estate planning attorney to develop estate planning strategies that maximize the transfer of wealth to the next generation by minimizing federal estate and state inheritance taxes. With SFG being a trust representative office of National Advisors Trust, he also works with the trust officer to ensure efficient distribution of the client’s estate.
- Business Planning: Doug’s primary role with the business consulting team is to integrate the business side of their situation to the personal side of their financial situation.
- Divorce Planning: Doug has developed additional knowledge to assist counseling individuals who are in the process of going through a divorce. He has received the Certified Divorce Financial Analyst (CDFA™) designation, which qualifies him to advise on the financial implications of divorce. He works closely with the client to help organize and understand their finances in the early stages of the divorce, and then works closely with the divorce attorney to help negotiate an equitable settlement.
Doug graduated from Valparaiso University with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and a concentration in Finance and Major in Economics. Prior to joining Strategic, he gained valuable experience as a financial advisor with American Express Financial Advisors. Along with his CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP), Doug earned the CDFA™ and Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®) designations. Doug’s strong work ethic and knowledge of the financial industry give him the skills necessary to help clients achieve their financial goals.
Doug has been married for over 20 years to his high school sweetheart and has two children, a daughter and son. He played baseball and basketball in high school and continued playing baseball in college. He has been very active in the past coaching his daughter in softball and his son’s baseball and basketball teams. Doug has served as the President of Seasons Basketball and the Chairman of the Lake Committee in Doubletree Lake Estate. Doug also enjoys fishing, camping, and traveling.
- Bachelor of Science in Business, Valparaiso University, 1994
- The American College for Financial Planning Program
- Published works
- Worth Magazine, February-March 2016, “Do I really need a ‘team’ of professionals to help me avoid the pitfalls of divorce?”
- Professional designation
- *CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®)
*Chartered Financial Consultant™ (ChFC®)
*Certified Divorce Financial Analyst™ (CDFA®)
- *CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®)